By Campbell and Lynn Loughmiller; 3rd Edition (2018)
For three decades and counting, Texans have relied on Texas Wildflowers to identify the common and rare flowers we see along the roadsides and in the pastures, fields, and forests of our state. Compiled by naturalists Campbell and Lynn Loughmiller, with the technical assistance of Lynn Sherrod, Texas Wildflowers is an authoritative field guide with a personal touch in the many notes the Loughmillers included about the plants they described and photographed.
This new edition has been completely reorganized by flower colors (and within each color section, by flowering season) to make it even easier to identify the flowers you see as you travel through Texas. Every wildflower is illustrated with a beautiful full-color photograph—over 250 of which are new to this edition. All of the descriptive identifying information is presented in a consistent format—common and botanical names, plant and leaves, flowers and fruit, flowering season, habitat and range, and notes.
What hasn’t changed is the book’s sturdy binding, which will hold up through years of active use, and its wealth of information, which has been thoroughly updated by the expert staff of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center:
- 381 full-color, close-up photos that show every wildflower in the book, including over 200 photos that are new to this edition.
- 370 species accounts that include the plant's scientific and common names, a description of its appearance, and its range, habitat, and blooming season.
- Descriptions of 73 wildflower families, from Acanthaceae to Zygophyllaceae.
- Indexes to help you identify flowers by their Latin name and common name.
- A guide to taxonomic updates in this edition.
- A map, glossary, illustrated glossary, and bibliography for further reading.
Lady Bird Johnson, author of the first edition's foreword, says of this new edition of Texas Wildflowers, "How delighted I am the University of Texas Press and the Wildflower Center are preserving Campbell and Lynn Loughmiller's legacy by revising and updating this beautiful and invaluable book about Texas wildflowers! Not only does it contain a wealth of knowledge, it also awakens our awareness of the splendor of nature and joyous lift of spirit it brings."
UT Press, 2018. 4.5" x 7.25" hardcover, 304 pages.