By Bob Burns and Mike Burns. Finding your way using map, compass, altimeter and GPS.
• The official navigation textbook used in outdoor education courses by thousands of students
• Goodreads.com readers rated the previous edition 4 out of 5 stars (and now it’s even better!)
• Map and compass skills remain the foundation for traveling safely in the wilderness
This new third edition is a major and complete update of the popular textbook:
• Improved throughout for clarity, with chapter objectives presented at the beginning of each chapter and summaries, “skills check” mini-quizzes, and practice problems listed at the end
• Updated descriptions of the most current maps, compasses, altimeters, and Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers
• Updated declination maps for the United States and the world (declination changes over time and compasses must be adjusted for a specific location to provide correct readings)
• Much-expanded GPS chapter, including interfacing the GPS receiver with the home computer, maximizing battery life, and using the GPS function on a “smart” phones (along with a description of their limitations)
• Additional information on non-GPS navigational techniques
• Recommended websites, apps, and other sources of useful navigational information
Mountaineers Books, 1999. 176 pages. 5.8" x 8.4" paperback.